Search Robert Baca's cemetery records at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Memorial for Confederate Soldiers Who Died in Socorro

Capt. Willis L. Lang - Confederate soldier who died in Socorro, New Mexico
From the memorial on the Find a Grave website (click on this link to see his memorial.)


As you may know, two of my 2nd great-grandfathers were Civil War era Union soldiers (Zimmerly and Bourguignon.) Although historically I side with the Union, (I'm a damn Yankee, what can I say)I do believe in commemorating the lives of those who served on both sides of the war.

Find a Grave has a page dedicated to a possible Confederate Soldier burial site in Socorro, New Mexico. The page lists 32 men who died in Socorro after the Battle of Valverde in 1862.

Please note that the burial site is on personal property, and the owners do not want people to go on to their land. To read more about the controversy, read my blog post on the New Mexico Genealogical Society Blog: Confederate Soldier's (sic) Remains Found in Socorro?

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the Geneabloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I'm fairly new, as well, and have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

    Keeping telling your ancestor stories!

    Dr. Bill ;-)
    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"

    ReplyDelete